How to Set Up and Use the Trezor Model T
So you’ve recently started buying cryptocurrencies, and have decided to up your security game and picked up a Trezor Model T. To get you quickly started,.
So you’ve recently started buying cryptocurrencies, and have decided to up your security game and picked up a Trezor Model T. To get you quickly started, follow our guide on how to set up and use the Trezor Model T and you’ll be trading crypto assets in no time!
Looking to buy the Trezor Model T? Click here to shop our Trezor collection.
How to set up and use the Trezor Model T
Step 1: Check the Holographic Seal
The Trezor Model T package is protected by a tamper-evident hologram seal. Make sure the seal at the bottom of the device is intact and has not been tampered with.
You can find more information on the holographic seal and what to look out for here. To see a quick clip from Trezor showing you what it is supposed to look like, click here.
It’s imperative that the seal is in perfect shape before proceeding with your Trezor set up. If you’re happy with the seal, you can move on to the next step.
Step 2: Get that Trezor unboxed!
Open your newly purchased Trezor and unbox everything you need! Inside the box you should find the following things:
- Trezor Model T
- Model T magnetic dock
- USB-C Cable
- 2 x Recovery seed card
- Trezor stickers
Step 3: Visit the official Trezor website
Visit the official Trezor website to proceed with the set up of your Trezor Model T.
Next, it will remind you to check your holographic seal. We have already done this.
If it looks good, hit continue.
Step 4: Update your device’s firmware
The screen will tell you to update your firmware. Click show details and follow the prompts to update your device.
The process proceed as follows:
- Disconnect your Trezor.
- Start swiping your finger across the Trezor’s touch screen and plug it in when your finger is halfway.
- Confirm the connection in bootloader mode on the device.
- Next, tick the box to confirm you have your recovery seed with you (even know we don’t, yet) and hit Update to the newest version.
- Now there will be a message on your device. Hit the green tick on the right to continue.
- Your device will now update, this may take a minute or two.
- When this is done, it will return to the wallet screen
Step 5: Create a wallet
Next, the Trezor wallet will ask you if you want to create a new wallet or recover a wallet.
Since you are reading this, you will probably need to Create a new wallet. So click on this and then confirm this action on your Trezor device by hitting the green tick.
If you want to recover a previously owned wallet, hit Recover wallet on the right.
Your Trezor should now say Needs backup and your computer screen will say Your Trezor is not backed up.
Step 6: Backup your device
Now, for the most important part! You will now backup your device, so that if you ever lose your Trezor, you can still recover your assets.
Keep in mind:
- Do not take a photo of your recovery seed
- Never upload it to the Internet
- Do not store it in the cloud
- Do not store it on your computer
- Trezor does not store your recovery phrase. If you lose this, as well as your device, you cannot recover your assets. You are responsible.
Remember your recovery phrase is your only backup key to your assets. If someone has access to this phrase, they have access to all your funds.
- Click Create a backup in 3 minutes.
- Read the security warnings and tick the I understand and agree checkbox once you are familiar with the backup process.
- Now head over to your Trezor device and click I understand.
- Your recovery phrase will now be displayed on the Trezor’s screen, carefully write each word down onto the recovery sheet.
- When you are done writing this down, hold down the green button on your device to continue.
- Next, the Trezor will test you to make sure you have written down your passphrase correctly. The Trezor will act like an old school phone, each button displays 3 letters. To get to C you must click the first button 3 times and if you wanted H you would click the third button twice, and so on.
- Type the words that correspond to the number until all 12 words have been completed! Then hit continue.
- Head back over to your computer and it should say You have successfully backed up your device! Click the Continue button to move to the next step.
Step 7: Name your device
The screen will tell you why you would want to name your device, this is not important, so just click continue.
- Type your name of choice in the field and click Confirm to continue.
- Head over to your Trezor and confirm the name change by clicking the green tick.
- Go back to your computer and click Continue.
Step 8: Create a PIN for your device
You’ll now be asked to create a PIN for your device. You will use this PIN to protect your device from others. Ensure that you write this down and store it securely.
Go to your Trezor device and click the green button to confirm that you want to set a new pin.
- Next, type in your pin of choice and click the green tick!
- The device will ask you to confirm your PIN, enter the code and click the tick.
- Go back to your computer and it should say Good job! Your PIN is set.
- Click Continue to go to the next step.
Step 9: Bookmark the page (optional)
You can press Ctrl+D on your keyboard to add the Trezor wallet to your browser. This is good for avoiding phishing attacks.
Then hit the Continue button.
Step 10: Sign up to the newsletter (optional)
If you wish to receive important messages about security and product updates, enter your email address, read the T&C’s and click Continue.
If you’re not interested, simply click Skip this step.
If you’d like to follow Trezor on socials, click on the links. Otherwise, click Continue.
Click Finish and congratulations! Your device is now set-up and ready to use.
How to send and receive crypto on the Trezor Model T
You’re almost there! Now you just need to learn how to send and receive your crypto assets using your new device.
If this is your first time using the Trezor Model T, we recommend you get familiar with the process of sending and receiving crypto with the steps we outline below. This is just so you can verify that you are set-up correctly before you start sending larger amounts.
Receiving crypto with your Trezor Model T
When you choose to make a purchase for some crypto, we can send it directly to your Trezor.
When you land on your Trezor homescreen for the first time, you will see that you haven’t completed any transactions yet.
Please ensure that your device is plugged in and unlocked.
- To make your first transaction, select the cryptocurrency that you wish to receive from the top left of your screen. Please note, the Trezor T only supports so many cryptocurrencies. You can access more, although you will need to use a third-party wallet. See the full list of supported coins & tokens here.
- Click on the Receive tab to find your receiving address. Click Show full address and click Confirm on your device if they match.
- Your receiving address will now appear as a QR code, or you can copy + paste the text. Scan the QR code or copy paste it into the address field during the buying process.
Sending crypto from your Trezor Model T
Are you wanting to send your crypto from your Trezor to another wallet? Or are you wanting to sell some of your assets back to us? Follow the steps below!z
- Plug your Trezor in and go to the Send tab.
- Select the cryptocurrency that you wish to send from the top left of your screen. Please note, the Trezor Model T only supports so many cryptocurrencies. You can access more, although you will need to use a third-party wallet. See the full list of supported coins & tokens here.
- Enter the destination address. Only ever use a QR code scanner, or copy + paste the address into this field. If you wish to send the crypto to multiple addresses, you can click the Add recipient button.
- Enter the amount of crypto you wish to send. Press the Up arrow to send all your assets.
- Select the transaction fee that suits you best (high, normal, economy, and low). Please note, the higher the fee, the faster your transaction will finish. The transaction fee is charged by the network, not by Trezor.
- Once you hit send, confirm the transaction amount and destination address on your device.
- Once again, confirm the total amount and transaction fee and click Confirm.
With your Trezor Model T device all set up, you’ll be ready to trade crypto on the blockchain in no time!
Looking to buy the Trezor Model T? Click here to shop our Trezor collection.
For more insights, latest news and updates on all things crypto make sure to subscribe to our newsletter and check out more topics on our learn site at Easy Crypto.
Make sure to follow our Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube channel to stay up-to-date with Easy Crypto!
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our monthly newsletter to have the latest crypto insights, news, and updates delivered to our inbox.
Disclaimer: Information is current as at the date of publication. This is general information only and is not intended to be advice. Crypto is volatile, carries risk and the value can go up and down. Past performance is not an indicator of future returns. Please do your own research.
Last updated August 30, 2022